

When it was time to visit Pigeon River Country I called Pete
Gustafson. Pete serves on the Pigeon River Advisory Council and takes a keen interest in this last piece of wilderness in lower Michigan. I figured he would either know some hot spots, or know someone who would. Not only was he eager to join my quest, but came up with more remote fishing spots than we had time to fish. We started on the Black, a
classic brook trout stream, on a section near the western boundary of the park, stopping along the way to admire the Cornwall Creek backwater. I leave out the details of the exact access route hoping that someday his source will give us a few more. I was expecting a
mosquito invested brush trap typical of the UP, so I packed in my old
Orvis 6 weight, not because it was the right rod for the expected fish, but because with my luck so far this year I was sure to break something. I was surprised to find this beautiful river was easy to wade and plenty wide enough for casting. Pete headed upstream while I went down, casting a small streamer. The stream was shallow but held plenty of woody structure along the banks and there were occasional big holes. I suspect the successful angler covers a lot of river moving quickly from hole to hole. I had a few strikes but no catches. We met back at the starting point at the prescribed time. Pete had similar luck but did find a massive hole on a bend not far upstream. We decided to move on to the Pigeon River, reluctantly leaving the Black and its native brookies behind.
Weather: 70s, sunny
Access: Pigeon River Country State Forest
No comments:
Post a Comment