Big Creek is similar in flow, clarity, width and depth to the Au Sable's north branch. Both have swift current and some very deep holes that force you out of the river at times. But Big Creek is unique in the section we fished in that it has some long open runs with undercut banks and deep overhanging grass. This is perhaps the most picturesque setting I've fished so far and I did not spend nearly enough time here. Tom Whalen and Jerry Gernst joined me as they waited out another Hex opportunity. We took McMasters Bridge Road to N Down River (CR-608), east across the North Branch and on to the Big Creek Bridge. We stopped to look over the river, which looked inviting but I could tell Tom and Jerry were uneasy about the matter of access. This was exactly my own worry the first few streams I ventured into on my quest. I've yet to find an access site that said FISHERMAN WELCOME. Most federal and state land is unmarked or only posted with WARNING signs about zebra mussels or some disease or special regulation. So I knew from personal experience that we weren't going to have a friendly reception. The south side had NO TRESPASS signs and the north side was unposted. I advised that the river could float a big log and was therefore legally OK to fish as long as we stayed in the stream. Not much impressed with my legal talk, Tom & Jerry continued to ponder the situation as I headed to the car and began putting on my waders. They soon followed suite and we were off to explore a new stream. Tom and I headed upstream while Jerry headed down toward Big Creek's confluence with the North Branch. A couple of fish showed but we caught nothing except an urge to return with more time. It looks to be about a one mile wade up to the next crossing road and about the same distance down to the North Branch from this access. Both would provide a full afternoon of fishing.
Note: Return in August to try hopper fishing the grassy banks upstream.
Weather: 81 degrees, sunny
Access: North Down River Rd
No comments:
Post a Comment