We slept in after the late night HEX hatch fishing on the South and usual drinking that followed. Spent the first morning hour sitting on the dock drinking coffee while obsorbing the wakening day, then headed off to Rick Hick's place to move some rock for the upcoming TU project. Rick has been working hard to dam up a cut that threatens to eliminate a big bow in the river and lots of frontage and the TU chapter in Lansing is coming up to move some rock upstream to the dam. We retired to Roger's for some bacon and eggs afterwhich Tom and I headed off to the North Branch to notch another river. We entered at the Sheep Pasture access site maintained by the DNR off Lovells Road which was noted in Au Sable River guide with a warning to watch out for some swift current and very deep holes. I headed upstream catching only a tiny chub, while Tom went down and managed to hook a 10 inch brown on a small conehead streamer. These small streams should really be fished on cloudy days to be productive. I've fished the North upstream where it was wider and only knee deep. By comparison this was much deeper and tricky to wade and cast.
Note: Next time I see Rick Hicks I should learn more about his fishing adventures over the years. My trip to Lees Ferry resulted from listening to Rick about his trip there. He has a wealth of knowledge about the Au Sable and beyond that would be interesting and well worth knowing (and recording).
Weather: 91 degrees, sunny
Access: Lovells Rd - Sheep Pasture
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment