Saturday, June 9, 2007

#20 Little Manistee River, Michigan


The Little Manistee is a damn tough river to fish. Narrow with deep holes and overhanging brush, the river is a challenge to fly fish. Our access point is the Patterson cottage just east of M37 on another bluebird day. Jon headed upstream and as I prepared to head down a group of intertubers jumped in the river ahead of me to blaze the trail. I followed the rowdy bunch, fishing on down to the cabins at the corner and walked back up Old M63. The Little Manistee obviously holds plenty of big fish, and would be much easier to master with a spinning rod. Perhaps the most productive approach with a fly rod would be to find a good spot to fish a night hatch where you didn't have to move around. We left a note thanking the Pattersons and headed east to the Twin Creek Restaurant for some fried chicken and a cold beer. I have reached the 20 river milestone, though Jon reminds me that I have 40 more to go. True enough, yet I have compressed about 10 years of normal fishing into just 5 months. Not bad.

Weather: 70 degrees, sunny
Access: Old M63 at M37

No comments: