
This trip starting out as one thing and turned into something else entirely. It was supposed to be just a short float down the Manistee with Margie, Eric & Sara on a reach between M37 and M115 that I had often considered as I passed over the bridge heading south. It was obvious that I was way behind on my quest for sixty rivers, so I didn't suspect the ruse when Eric suggested the Sunday morning float, nor the surprise that awaited me just a few minutes downstream. As we came around a bend I noticed a sign along the bank that read, Happy 60th Birthday Dad! and thought to myself, "Isn't that great, another fisher is celebrating his 60th too." As we got closer I could see the names on the sign and then the whole family came into view as they whooped it up. I was completely surprised, and needless to say, very happy. We floated on down together enjoying each other's company and even doing a little fishing. The weather had cooled off a bit from a recent heat wave which made for a very pleasant trip. A gourmet picnic was planned for the takeout at M115, a little park we had often stopped at to give the kids a break on our way home from Glen Arbor. It was the perfect way to celebrate the big six-0... with my family on a beautiful river in northern Michigan. A memory that I will cherish forever, including some over-the-top birthday gifts which I will describe as they are used along my quest. As for the fishing? My catch for the day was the best ever: Margie, Eric, Brad, Lindsay, Amy, Sara, and Brian (and Madeline, Ben, & Hannah too!). Ten keepers.
Weather: Cool mid 60s, partly cloudy
Access: M37
No comments:
Post a Comment