After breakfast of ham and eggs cooked up by Jon we headed out for the second day of our six river trek. The first of the day's rivers would be the Baldwin, accessed at its confluence with the PM, a section of the PM popular with the spawning run crowd for its gravel riffles and holding pools. Jon headed downstream past the Baldwin as I headed up the smaller tributary. I fished upstream perhaps a 1/4 mile before turning back. Unlike the Pere Marquette which for the most part has continuous fishing opportunity, the holding water on the Baldwin is more spread out. So it would be necessary to cover some distance to find the fish. Still, there are plenty of good logjams and deep holes, and the Baldwin is famous upstream for its productive hatches. I rested my equipment on a protruding log and sat down on its weathered surface to make some notes and look around, concluding that I should put my fly rod down more often. There is a lot to observe and appreciate when you stop the action and let your senses take over.
Weather: 66 degrees, sunny
Access: 72nd - Ledge Hole Access
No comments:
Post a Comment