Sunday, September 23, 2007

#46 Stoney Creek, Michigan




















When I arrived at the crossing on M21 east of Ionia there were two cars at the turnoff. One had a shifty looking lad inside, the other empty. This gave me pause and became a nagging worry on an otherwise beautiful sunny Sunday morning. After parking the car as close to the road as possible, I readied myself for a wade up unfamiliar Stoney Creek. I had scouted the river early in the season and was glad to be back after spending all summer putting it off. Aptly named, and unlike the muddy Maple that flows nearby, this creek is fast and clear over a solid cobblestone base. It also holds a good population of eager panfish size smallmouth bass. The staghorn sumac and Joe-Pye Weed proudly displayed fall colors. Elm leaves floated intermitently down to the river, all too often finding the hook of my streamer. A hint of things to come on this unseasonably warm September day. When I got back the other cars were gone. Try as I might, I will never get over wanting a stream all to myself. Off to Fish Creek north of here near Carson City.



















At first I was disorganized. Now I keep things exactly where I left them. Paying special attention to case rods and stow reels in that expensive Orvis reel bag.

No comments: