Friday, September 21, 2007

#45 Thornapple River, Michigan

Looking upstream toward Thornapple River Drive. Casted streamers to what looked like spawning suckers. No salmon visible. Got some good practice roll casting. River is difficult to wade and not as pleasant as this photo.
"Bill- Don't forget that most Michigan rivers close to fishing at the end of September."

This little missive from Jon Damon popped up in my mailbox last night. It is true that I have 15 rivers left to fish, and yes it is also true that trout season ends in just eight days and with it most river fishing. I still have options. Most salmon rivers remain open, and there are a few stretches of river open for catch-and-release year around. I hear that November trout fishing in Tennessee is awesome. But I will admit to being a bit lackadaisical the last few weeks and trout closer is creeping up faster than I thought. So thanks to Jon's prodding, I've decided to get to 55 rivers by October 15 (we leave for Vermont on the 16th).

Lower Michigan - 11 of 13 rivers

Stoney Creek, Fish Creek, Flat River, Rogue River, Cedar Creek, White River, Sable River, Pentwater River, Betsie River, Platte River, Boyne River, Black River, and Rifle River.

Upper Michigan - lots of rivers but little time

Vermont - 2 rivers (Battenkill + one)

Maine - 1 river

River # 60?

No comments: