
Knowing Jon de Bleaux and having the benefit of his knowledge of Michigan trout streams would make my quest for 60 rivers a lot easier. This book, on loan from Jon Damon, is apparently the unedited journal of a truly remarkable spin fisher of Michigan trout streams. JdB finds only humor in the Orvis clad "feather" casters, preferring instead tossing "metal" deep into log jams to entice out the resident hogs and practicing his own practical style of catch & release, keeping the biggies and returning the small ones. He apparently liked eating fish.
Especially interesting were Jon's account of fishing familiar streams like Honey Creek, Tamarack Creek, and the Little South Branch of the PM - all streams I've already fished on my quest. But his best streams with reports of fantastic action were not named or were given fake names so as not to break the code of silence with his trusted fishing buddy, Mad Bill.
On trout fishing...."In the beginning I'll confess that I, too, was once guilty of lusting after numerous odd-ball creations. Such temptations are designed to make pure the breed. I know few men, weaned on trout, who have remained completely pure. Tales of temptation, like northerns long as canoes in the Canadian wilds, and salmon so powerful they can burn up a reel in a single run, have lured many astray. Verily, verily, I say unto you, narrow is the path to trout heaven and few are the men that ever find it, but wide is the road to the garbage fish and the multitudes swarm thereupon."
On bears and mosquitoes...."Bears are the unpredictable and excitable inhabitants of the north country I love. I find the black bear a fascinating animal and enjoy the idea of sharing his habitat and find our meetings nothing short of exhilarating. Were it not the black bear and the blood-thirsty mosquitoes guarding my streams, many of my favorite haunts would have turned into tourist parks by this time."
On you and me...."We have spawned a whole generation who cannot tolerate the quiet of the backwoods for more than an hour or two at a time. They must race back to civilization, people, and noise for their false security. Progress and civilization have ironically robbed a majority of our people of self reliance, leaving them as caged rats that thrive in a noisy, overcrowded world. I feel sorry for them and their weakness. We have sadly slipped a long way from the caliber of our forefathers."
Not a great piece of literature, but an interesting and entertaining read for those of us who like standing waist deep in moving water.
No comments:
Post a Comment