The Tamarack is a big creek (at least below Howard City) which makes me wonder why some streams are called rivers and some are called creeks. It is comparable in width and depth to the Little Manistee River, holding a sizable population of browns, brooks, and rainbows. I was fortunate to have run into Mike Roberts at the parking spot. Mike is a fishing enthusiast and a frequent fisher of the Tamarack. He described several wading "loops" he makes above, through, and below Howard City. I hope to return soon to explore the section where Rice Creek flows into the Tamarack. According to Mike you can fish the entire stretch upstream to the park along M82. That would be about 3 miles of river, or should I say creek. Sadly, the fish I caught were nursery stock, probably planted just before opening day. There is something very troubling about the put-and-take fishery being practiced the world over.

On the way out of the parkway I stepped on the gas as I was late for dinner, and in fact hadn't bothered to tell anyone where I was. As the car picked up speed I heard a troubling scraping sound across the top of my car and in the rear view mirror I saw my antique bamboo rod sail to a stop on the pavement. I pulled the car over and ran to its rescue, too late to prevent the first car from running over the tip section. As it passed I noticed an 18 wheeler baring down on us (my rod and me), so I ran out and grabbed it as the trucker whizzed by giving a thumbs up. Surprisingly the rod was OK, which would not have been the case had it been graphite. Note to self: do not put rod on top of car when taking off waders.
Weather: Sunny, 81 degrees Access: M82 at bridge west of US131
No comments:
Post a Comment