I have Kickstarter to thank for this trip. The request for funding involved the development of a nifty way to remove the reel from a fly rod for casting, but then reattach it when fighting a fish. The attorney turned entrepreneur who invented this rather odd but intriguing devise is Rex Huang. In exchange for a pledge to help launch the product he called REXFLY he was offering a guided trip on the famous Green River. I took the bait, and a few months later received one of his early models to try out (more on that later).
For his part of the deal Rex suggested we try the BWO hatch in early spring. I booked a Delta flight from Grand Rapids to Salt Lake City with a short layover in Minneapolis. Rented a car and pointed it east toward the mountains and before long I found myself in Wyoming which prompted a stop to make sure I hadn't strayed off course. As it turns out, interstate 80 drifts north into Wyoming, crossing the Green River at the town of Green River where the river begins forming the incredibly long Flaming Gorge Reservoir to the south into Utah. It was sunny with the occasional light snow squall that quickly passed.
After a few hours on the road I made a pit stop at the nearly empty Little America motel/restaurant/trinket shop - a good example of the not-so-modern American tourist trap. As I was about to leave I noticed that some of the cars in the parking lot were wearing coats of ice and snow. One of the travelers suggested that if I was heading east I should turn around and go back to Salt Lake as 80 was closed with high winds and drifting snow. After several inquiries I was able to determine that the interstate was open to a point just beyond my exit to highway 191 south. So I pushed on, my enthusiasm dusted with apprehension.
It was a relief to start heading south at the 191 exit even as the blowing snow intensified. By the time I reached Little Firehole Overlook the Flaming Gorge Scenic Byway had become a whiteout and the whole experience was beginning to feel a bit dicey. This is big sky country with vast sweeping ridges and deep depressions - and no guard rails! I stopped at the Clay Basin Overlook about two-thirds of the way down the gorge to admire the spectacular array of weather across the endless landscape. A tour bus went zipping by seemingly oblivious to the foul weather - the only vehicle I would see though oddly comforting.
It was late afternoon by the time I reached Dutch John near the Flaming Gorge Dam and Rex had already been out fishing in spite of the weather, and much to my surprise he said the fishing had been good. After checking into our micro-cabin (see photo below) and unpacking, Rex asked if I would like to get a few hours of fishing in before dark. We could wade the river near tomorrow's takeout. I hadn't come this far to let a little snow get in the way so I suited up and Rex led me to the river. Sure enough, there were schools of fish feeding in the shallows and while the wind made casting nearly impossible I managed to catch a few nice trout before heading over to the Flaming Gorge Resort for dinner. Fishing Blue Wing Olives on the Green was going to be interesting.

We awoke the next morning to a bluebird day. A chilly morning would give way to a warm afternoon so we layered on the clothing and headed upstream to a put-in just below the dam. There were several guide boats prepping for the days float as we arrived but we would see little of them or anyone else until we neared the takeout where the locals were taking advantage of the ideal conditions and easy access.
Our float paralleled the Little Hole National Recreational Trail that is packed with hikers in the summer but now deserted. I pitched streamers for most of the morning with some success until the hatch emerged starting in late morning and reaching near blanket coverage in some sections by late afternoon. Two facts stand out. First, this is a major hatch of small bugs exceeding anything I've experienced in the mid-west. Second, the Green is every bit as good as its reputation - for both its natural beauty and fishery.
Rex was a great host and excellent guide. He was also a master at using the Rexfly outfit, and anyone observing him in action wanted one. For my part I stubbornly cling to my old ways in spite of its obvious benefits. Yet when I plan on streamer fishing from a drift boat all day I take it along and readily switch to it as my arm tires. And it is a must have when I'm in my one man float boat where handling a pair of oars and a rod can be tricky. Let Rex give you a demo...

Rexfly Demo
We got off the river late afternoon, and after consulting with the attendant at the local filling station I decided to drive back along the western side of Flaming Gorge following highway 44, with a side trip through the Sheep Creek Geological Loop before returning to Green River where I would spend the night at the Hampton Inn. Partway into the Loop I encountered my first "Closed for the Season" sign which I ignored. Further down the road I was greeted with another sign and barricade, and the sudden realization that I was deep into the outback at nightfall with no food or water and no one had a clue where I was. With a heightened sense of urgency I turned around and sped across the endless rolling hills of the high plateau passing signs for Anvil Draw, Brinnegars Crossing, and Firehole Canyon.
I woke late the next morning and headed back down 80 toward Salt Lake where I would spend the night before flying home. It was a beautiful sunny day and by mid-afternoon I hit Park City and a sudden urge to ski. I wasn't prepared for skiing and would have to use my fishing outfit but I assumed that would be nothing new in this part of the country. Unfortunately by the time I got to the ticket booth the slopes had just closed. So I did next best thing and found a pub with a rooftop bar and enjoyed a local brew with a view of the mountain, vowing to come back again soon.


A blanket of Blue Winged Olives on the Green
Itinerary and Notes:
Dates: April 13 - 16, 2014
Flights: Delta Airlines through Minneapolis to Salt Lake City.
Accommodations:
Flaming Gorge Recreational Services, Mini Cabin
Hampton Inn, Green River, Wyoming
Hilton Garden Inn, Salt Lake City
Dining:
Flaming Gorge Resort in Dutch John
The Lounge at Wild Horse Canyon in Green River
Guide: Rex Huang
Fishing: Blue-winged Olive hatch, catching rainbows, cut bows, and browns. Best daytime hatch I've experienced.
Flies: Befus Emerger, Griffiths Gnat, Disco Midges in red and black.

No comments:
Post a Comment