Kudos to Hawkins Outfitters - our trip to Patagonia was a grand slam from start to finish. Unlike most destinations the experience exceeded the hype and certainly exceeded my expectations. I had a great time.
“Breaking in” for three days on the Traful River at the Estancia Arroyo Verde was a great way to prepare for the six days of non-stop action provided by the Flymaniacs of Bariloche. I caught my largest brown trout ever to a sited fish on the Traful using one of your expertly crafted streamers, in the middle of a sunny day on a river so beautiful no photo can do it justice. It doesn’t get any better, except perhaps for the outdoor barbecue provided by our gracious hosts. The fact that the Traful also held willing land-locked Atlantic salmon made the Arroyo Verde a unique and unforgettable experience.
The hosteria you selected in Bariloche provided a good staging point for our river trips with the Flymaniacs, and the staff there was very attentive and eager to please. Which leads me to an observation that seems universally true throughout Argentina – the people there are good spirited and generous of their time and culture, and glad to have American tourists. This was particularly true of Esteban and his fishing guides. They were not only some of the best guides I have experienced anywhere, but also engaging in a way that made me feel at home in a foreign land. In the end it wasn’t surprising that Esteban treated us to a personally prepared feast at his home on the last evening, or that his guides took us shopping in Bariloche on our way to the airport (has to be the worst part of a guide’s job).
The Argentine cuisine from the restaurants in Buenos Aires and Bariloche to the campfires along the Calefu River was outstanding. They have taken the concept of a “mixed grill” to a whole new level. And the local wine was exceptional. The irony is that upon returning home I had actually lost some weight. Now that’s my kind of diet.
But we traveled to Patagonia for its famous trout fishery and were not disappointed. In fact, I was amazed how good the daytime fishing was in full sun in the gin clear rivers we fished. I was also amazed at how the brown trout fought like steelhead back home – especially in the Limay River. We routinely saw browns jump completely out of the water in their fight for freedom, an uncommon experience here in Michigan. And of course the rainbows were even more acrobatic. To a river, there was never a cast that didn’t hold the promise of a trophy catch.
I would like to thank you for putting such a memorable trip together, and for your efforts to assure that everything went smoothly. Your attention to detail was very much appreciated by all of us. The packing list, travel advisories, and equipment (I can’t wait to try some of your streamers back here in Michigan) were all first class.
No comments:
Post a Comment